Friday, April 17, 2015

Alma Mater

Last night there was a food and wine dinner at Prime, the steakhouse on our campus. This was a senior’s only event and I went with three close friends. Whoever was in charge of this event did a lovely job and we had a great evening.




This was the menu that we were presented with. I love how they paired wine with food and let us try all the wine. For someone who loves wine, I thought they were all very good. Through out the night several people stood up and talked to us. One woman who really caught my attention was a graduate from the High Point College class of 1963. She and her husband both came to talk to us, which was really quite adorable, they met at High Point. The main point that stood out to me was stay connect to and give back to your Alma Mater.

We spend 4 years of our life here; going from class to class, moving out and moving back in, making good and bad memories. When we leave here on May 9th all we will have is an earned diploma and a ton of memories. The thing I have realized is that you can’t just leave this campus and put it all behind you. Staying in touch with alumni relations’ office is really important, to know what is going on at the school and with your classmates. I also believe that giving back to a school that gave you so much is extremely important. Someone once explained my diploma to me like stock. A stock rarely stays at the same value that you bought it at, it will increase and it will decrease in value. It is important to watch your diploma grow with value, and that means giving back to the school. Giving back to the school does not always mean donating money, this could mean helping students receive internships and jobs after they graduate. For me right now not having a job I want to give back with money. I have already given High Point University $100 of my own money and I plan to do that every year. Hopefully I can increase that in a few years!!


Whatever you choose to do remember where you spent 4 amazing years of your life. Once you leave this campus it should not be a forever goodbye, more like a see you later!

1 comment:

  1. I too enjoyed this event and am glad the school decided to do it! I will definitely be coming back many years down the road to see how the school has grown. I'm glad hpu has set up such a great program where students and alumni can give back to the school that gave us so much!

    ReplyDelete